May 21, 2009

Chocolate Covered Caramel Apples


As I have mentioned in a previous post some tastes like smells have a way of transporting us back in time. Green apples do just that for me. My sister, Caprece, loved green granny smith apples, in fact it was the only apple she would eat. When we were young we enjoyed jolly ranchers and guess what flavor was her favorite? You guessed it "green apple". It was the same with now and laters as well. So, now when I taste or smell green apple sweet memories of her flood my mind. We started a tradition a few years before her death in which I would purchase her a super duper chocolate covered caramel apple for Christmas. She loved it! Although, she is gone I have continued the tradition only now I make them any time I need a "Caprece" fix. These I made and donated for an auction for the Youth at our church. Thinking of her all the while. Of course, I made one especially for my family to split. They were definitely SUPER DUPER! :)


INGREDIENTS:

  • 5 medium granny smith apples
  • 1 pkg of Caramel Apple Wraps OR 2 pkgs. kraft caramel bits - in baking section of the grocery store. Near the chocolate chips. (Both make 5 apples)*
  • 1 pkg of Chocolate Almond Bark
  • 1 pkg of Vanilla Almond Bark OR vanilla chips.**
  • Chopped Nuts of your choice (I prefer walnuts or pecans)
  • Parchment paper


*I have used the wraps and the caramel bits and both work well. The wraps are much easier to use but their caramel does bubble on occasion. This isn't a problem if you cover them completely in chocolate. Both the wraps and the bits come with the sticks.

**Vanilla chips are an alternative if you don't use almond bark often since you will only use a very small amount for the decorating.


DIRECTIONS:

Rinse apples and dry. Prepare parchment paper (9 x 13 size) and spray with non-stick spray for easy removal. Cover the apples with caramel as directed on the caramel package. **Please note if using the caramel bits you will probably end up with a bit of caramel pooled at the bottom of each apple. I just cut that off before I dip in the chocolate.

Break the Chocolate Almond Bark into chunks and melt in a microwave safe bowl as directed on the package. While chocolate is melting place nuts where you can easily apply to wet chocolate. Once chocolate is melted dip apples holding the stick, turning in chocolate and covering apple. Allow excess to drip off. Now, holding apple over parchment sprinkle with nuts while turning. Place on parchment. Allow to dry. While chocolate is drying melt 1.5 chunks of the vanilla almond bark or 1/2 cup of the vanilla chips. (Start with 30 seconds stir and 15 seconds at a time stirring after each time until melted.) Using a fork, dip it into the melted vanilla then using a short back and forth stroke allow to drip over chocolate. This is the best part because 1. the vanilla covers the blemishes and 2. It is suppose to look messy. My kids even help me with this step and their apples look great. Let vanilla harden. ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

And the taste panel says....